The Red Fox Timeline
Joseph Chinn built his Chinn’s Ordinary from local fieldstone in a village then called Chinn’s Crossroads.
An enthusiastic young surveyor named George Washington surveyed the route between Alexandria, Virginia and the frontier town of Winchester, known today as the John Mosby Highway (Route 50). Local lore places Washington as a patron of Chinn’s Ordinary during this time.
Revolutionary War: 1775 – 1783
Young colonists with visions of independence and smartly uniformed British soldiers alike were able to forget battles while sheltered within the buildings thirty inch stonewalls.
Chinn’s Crossroads and fifty acres were sold to the newly chartered town of Middleburg for $2.50 an acre. Middleburg, so-named because it was a day’s ride by coach or horseback from Alexandria to the frontier town of Winchester in the Shenandoah Valley. Chinn’s Ordinary provided the overnight resting stop for travelers and horses making the seventy mile journey.
Chinn’s Ordinary, christened the Beveridge House, was enlarged to thirty five rooms and an extensive new wine cellar was added.
The Beveridge House was often used by the Confederates. Most notably here General JEB Stuart met with Colonel John Mosby and his famous Mounted Rangers. And at the beginning of the Gettysburg campaign, as fierce cavalry battles raged around Middleburg, the Inn remained both headquarters and a hospital for the South. While strategy was planned upstairs in what today is the JEB Stuart Room, wounded soldiers were cared for in the tavern rooms below. The pine service bar, currently in use in the Tap Room, was made from the field-operating table used by an Army surgeon who served with General Stuart’s cavalry.
The Beveridge House was renamed the Middleburg Inn, and continued offering fine food and accommodations in the best Virginia tradition. While Middleburg prospered and grew in reputation as a foremost area for foxhunting, thoroughbred breeding, and racing the Middleburg Inn remained a prominent destination for the area’s social and economic activities.
A local citizen saved the venerable building from the wrecking ball and renamed it the Red Fox Inn. The historic structure was remodeled with the help of a young local architect, William Dew.
Purchased by Nancy B. Reuter, The Red Fox Inn & Tavern began a new era of transformation which continues today under the management of her granddaughter Matilda.
Turner Reuter, Jr took the reins from his mother. Following her lead he continued careful renovations and maintenance of the original building while adding other contiguous properties to the operations. He is still regularly seen walking the floors and grounds of the facilities.